1. Heat the ghee in a non-stick saucepan over a slow - medium heat.
2. Add the vermicelli and cook for 10 minutes. Stir frequently to ensure that it does not burn and that the vermicelli cooks evenly.
3. Add the sugar and mix well.
4. Add 250 ml of the water, stir and cook until the vermicelli is just tender, approximately 5 minutes.
5. Add the raisins and vanilla essence with the remaining water, cover and cook for 10 minutes.
6. Lightly fluff up the sev with a fork. It should now be loose and dry.
7. Garnish with slivers of almonds and pistachios.